I have experience coaching emerging and established writers in these areas:
- understanding and overcoming writer’s block
- editing/revising your work
- preparing your work for a publisher
- writing compelling cover letters
- creating an online platform
- organizing book launches and events
- pitching yourself to event organizers
- creating tours
- working with publicists and publishers
- creating promo squads
- using social media
- creating book trailers
- preparing to be a more public figure
I can help you create your unique plan to publish and publicize your books too.
Rates: sliding scale $60-100/hour, based on your income.
Here is a list of my current offerings. All can be customized for various groups and can be either half or full-day workshops.
- Can’t Go Under It, Can’t Go Over It: This workshop addresses our inner critics, writer-blocking triggers, and strategies and routines that boost writing. All with a touch of mindfulness!
- Common Writer Mistakes and How to Avoid Them: This workshop is for emerging writers who’d like to improve their prose.
- How to Be Your Own Editor: Topics include editing vs revision, techniques to look at your writing with fresh eyes and how to get feedback from others.
- Get The Word Out!: This workshop covers self-promotion, including book trailers, social media, working with a publicist, touring, blogging, and launches.
Contact me for my workshop rates. I’d be happy to help you organize a workshop for your group or association.
I was lucky to have Farzana Doctor workshop a key piece of an early draft of my debut novel, The Darkhouse. She was kind and generous with her feedback, with keen insight on how to elevate the material. She also offered perspective on navigating the publishing world from her years as an accomplished and lauded writer.–Barbara Radecki
I went [to a workshop} with a student from my high school’s GSA. Meeting an out and successful LGBT author was inspiring for her and Farzana’s exercises gave her confidence that she, too, has stories to tell. We both left inspired to take our writing to the next level.–Seff R. Davis
I have attended Farzana’s workshops on book promotion. Her presentations are always relevant and helpful, leaving me equipped to self-promote my work.–Mary Lou Dickinson
I attended the “How to be your own editor” workshop at Hamilton’s GritLit Readers and Writers Festival. Farzana Doctor did an excellent job. Everyone seemed to get a lot from her workshop. Her insight and sharing of her personal experience was very helpful for new authors like myself.–Steve Authier
Photo credits: Vivek Shraya and Surita Dey/Brampton Public Library